The Q&A Archives: Additive to get plants to stand erect.

Question: There is something that I can add to the soil around my glads to get them to stand upright rather than weep, but I cannot remember what it is. Do you know?

Answer: Aside from staking your glads upright, or planting by the trenching method, I'm not aware of any other ways to keep glads upright. To avoid flopping glads consider this...Dig a 12-14 inch trench with the width equal to your flat spade.(Leave the mounded dirt along the length of the trench). Sprinkle in granular 10-10-10 fertilzer and cultivate into the bottom 2-3 inches. Stagger your glad corms (pretreated with powdered sulphur)and cover with 2-3 inches of soil. As they emerge, kick-in another 2-3 inches and continue the process until you've used up all the surplus soil. This will help support the stems and will help keep your plants upright, even in windy spots.