The Q&A Archives: fungus on golden euonymus

Question: My golden euonymus shrub has a white substance on branches and leaves are falling off. the shrub is 4 yrs. old.

Answer: Based on your description I think your plant may have a scale insect problem. This can be very serious on euonymus especially if it has spread throughout the plant. Begin by removing the worst-infected branches and clean up all of the plant litter from the ground. Then spray with horticultural oil (sold at garden centers) per the label instructions. If the plant is badly infested it may not be possible to save it. You may also want to check with your local county extension to make sure that is what the problem is and their control recommendations. I'm sorry I can't be more encouraging.