The Q&A Archives: Mimosa Tree

Question: Someone has offered to give me a Mimosa Tree. I need to know if they can be transplanted, or if it will kill them to dig them up? I would love to have one in my yard.
Thank you!

Answer: Mimosa trees have a very deep and sparse root system making it difficult to dig and transplant them successfully. In my experience the transplanted tree usually dies and the original root resprouts -- so it is not satisfactory for either gardener. If you wish to transplant a mimosa tree, the best way is to move a very small seedling just a few inches high in early summer by taking a large shovel full of soil and thus all of its roots intact. Otherwise, you could collect seeds from a tree in the fall and place them atop prepared soil where you would like a tree to grow, hopefully the seeds would germinate in place the next spring and you could select the strongest seedling to grow on. I'm sorry I can't be more encouraging.