The Q&A Archives: Delaware Rocks Cleanup

Question: I have a lot of Delaware Rocks in all the beds around the driveway and the front of the house. It has been there for at least about 7 years. The previous owner put down landscape fabric but it doesn't seem like it is porus. Now over time I have had a lot of soil deposit with in the rocks and hence weeds. What is my best bet of cleaning it up and giving it a fresh look. If I have to take this out it will cost me a lot of money. PLEASE HELP.

Answer: Unfortunately, rocks placed on top of a barrier fabric or plastic sheeting do tend to collect silt and debris where weeds can then germinate and grow. You could hand weed periodically to try to keep it tidy. I am not sure what size the Delaware Rocks are, but if they are of a size that can be raked then that might help to disturb and thus reduce seedling weeds. I'm sorry there is no easy answer to give you.