The Q&A Archives: Magnolia

Question: Gentlemen: I bought magnolia Little Gem and I want to know if it will live in zone 5. I live in northern Ohio. I looked on some web-sites and some say zone 6 through 9 or 7 through 9. I have it planted in full sun and on the north-east of my house. I do have a lot of protection during the winter months. Should I wrap it in burlap the first year? Thank you, John Willis

Answer: Little Gem Magnolia is rated hardy in zones 5-9 so you should not have to provide winter protection for your new tree to keep it alive, but if you protect it from wind and winter sunshine, the foliage will remain attractive. (Foliage can become wind or sunburned during the winter months. You can prune off any winter damage and it won't compromise the health of your tree.)