The Q&A Archives: Lavender Choices

Question: I want to establish a lavander hedge and where I want to plant this hedge gets regular water from a sprinkler system. I live in a zone 6, at 6,000 feet above Palm Desert, Ca. Which of your lavandula would you recommend that would grow tall enough to be a hedge and tolerant of regular overhead watering? My Monrovia dealer is Florida Nursery in Hemet, Ca. Thank you. Eddie

Answer: Although I understand your desire to grow lavender as a hedge, overhead watering will promote fungal diseases, plus the plant and the flowers and stems will become top heavy and droop. It's best to use a drip system with lavender. You may want to reconsider your choice of lavender, or see if you can somehow reprogram the sprinkler system to avoid that specific planting area.