The Q&A Archives: Garlic

Question: Is it too late to plant garlic, and can you plant it in containers?

Answer: Garlic should be planted in the fall. It helps me to think of it as a bulb, like a tulip, which is also planted in the fall. It is probably too late to plant garlic now. Timing of planting is the critical factor for planting garlic. You have to insure proper root development before the onset of winter. You could try to plant garlic in a container, I have never been successful with this. I am an avid container gardener and have tried it quite a few times, changing variables each time. I am of the opinion that containers don't work well because they don't afford the winter protection for the bulbs and their roots that the ground does. Containers are exposed on all sides to wind and cold during the winter months. Garlic likes to grow in a loose sandy loam enriched with lots of organic material (compost, leaf mould, well rotted manure, etc.)