The Q&A Archives: Calla lily not growing

Question: In late June,(June 20th) I planted a calla lily bulb in an 8-inch pot about 2-inches deep. It is now late July and I have had no growth yet-no buds-Nothing! How long does it take for calla lilies to start showing growth(buds). It's been 4-weeks now and still no growth. Should I dig it up to see what's wrong? Or should I just wait. I have the pot sitting on my east facing balcony which gets sun from about 5a.m.-1p.m. Is this enough sun exposure? I also keep the soil moist not too wet. Also, It has been quite hot in my area (upper 80's-upper90's)could this be causing a problem for my calla? Please help, I'm quite confused :(

Answer: It sounds as though you planted correctly and kept them watered so there's no specific reason for your callas to continue to rest. I'd dig them up to see what's going on!