The Q&A Archives: Veggie Virgin

Question: Im a new homeowner...I've managed to make my lot florish with lawn and shrubs. I'm now going to try a vegetable garden. The soil is very sandy. I intend to bring in loam. What else should I add to condition it???

Answer: For starters, I would suggest that you call the Massachusetts Extension service for a soil test. That way you'll amend the soil in the best way so you get wonderful food. Here is the phone number and web site url:<br>(413)545-4800, <br><br>Adding organic matter to sandy soil will improve its water-holding capacity and nutrient levels. Add lots of compost and/or well-rotted manure when you till in the spring, and continue to add grass clippings, shredded leaves, and more compost throughout the summer. (You can use these as mulch to help control weeds.) Cover cropping is another way to improve sandy soils.