The Q&A Archives: Fill hole from grounded tree stump in lawn

Question: I just recently had a stump grounded up on our front lawn which left a wide 4 inch deep hole in our front lawn. I filled the hole with topsoil and added some lawn seed a couple of weeks ago thinking that would be enough but now I notice that the area is very soft since it's only top soil. And the grass seeds barely grew. I guess I should have filled the hole with something more dirt-like and sturdy before adding the top soil. Can you suggest what it should be or maybe the topsoil should be enough and I'm not working the lawn well enough. Thanks.

Answer: Midsummer is a difficult time to get lawn grass to grow from seed, you might wait until early September and seed it again. You could also mix in some normal native soil from elsewhere in your yard if you want to raise the soil level; it will probably continue to settle for years as the organic matter underground rots down.