The Q&A Archives: I have Aquilegia x 'Music Pink and White' that are drying and dying?

Question: I have Aquilegia x 'Music Pink and White' that are drying and dying?
What do I do? I water them regularly and some of my other plants are getting the same effect.

Answer: Based on your description I am not certain what is happening to your plants, however there are several possibilities. One is that they are either over or underwatered. The soil should be slightly damp like a wrung out sponge, not sopping wet or saturated and not bone dry either. Columbine especially prefer it on the fast draining side and will suffer if too wet. Columbine sometimes dies back a bit after blooming; if you did not deadhead and trim it back after it bloomed you could try that now and see if it helps stimulate some healthy new growth. Without knowing what other plants you have it is difficult to make specific suggestions, but most perennials respond well to deadheading or a trimming back after they have bloomed. I hope this helps.