The Q&A Archives: Hostas

Question: In my zone, what is the proper planting time for hostas ... I would like to plant them under the shade of a pin oak tree that will have full shade all day.Thank you

Answer: Hostas that are container grown can be planted any time the ground is workable --meaning not frozen and not too muddy. In my experience the best times to plant are in the spring and in early September when temperatures are mild and there is usually rain to help keep the soil moist while they become established. Bare root hostas are usually only available in early spring so that is when they are usually planted. After planting you need to keep the soil evenly moist (damp but not saturated or sopping wet) and you should mulch them with several inches of organic mulch to help keep the soil moist. Enjoy your hostas!