The Q&A Archives: Camellia leaves turning brown

Question: Why are the leaves on my camellia bushes turning brown?

Answer: It's possible your camellia has Petal Blight Disease. This fungus (Sclerotinia camelliae) attacks mostly the flower petals, but also is a concern on the leaves if severe. The best control is sanitation. Remove all fallen flower petals immediately and dispose ofthem. They are a source for fungal spores that reinfect the tree. Replace the mulch every year and make sure the tree has good air circulation around it so the leaves and petals dry off quickly after a rain. This disease is very weather dependent. I have had the same problem and some years it is worse than others. This year I don't see a trace of the disease, but it depends on your local weather. Warm, humid conditions are very conducive to this fungus.