The Q&A Archives: Planting Wet Garden Area

Question: Looking for ornamental shrubs, perennials, bulbs for attractively stabilizing riverbank. I will place precast concrete block, with holes for planting and drainage on sloped bank. Prefer a mix of plants which can be arranged in attractive design, with summer color.

Answer: Sounds like you're looking for some bog plants. It might surprise you to know that many garden-variety plants will adapt well to really wet situations. I have Kaffir Lily, Japanese Ribbon Grass, and Primroses planted at the edges of my year-round pond. They look spectacular and don't mind having wet feet. I suggest you also try Butomus (flowering rush), Laevigata or Siberia iris, Snowball Viburnum, Marsh Marigold, Ligularia, Osmunda (Royal fern), Burnet, Lythrum (domesticated form of purple loosestrife), and Fritillaria.<br><br>There are also some forms of lobelia, forget-me-not, and geums that would fit your situation.<br><br>Try growing your favorites in containers sunk into the water. You can always rescue them if they begin to look waterlogged!