The Q&A Archives: Weeping cherry home for flies?

Question: I was watering my weeping cherry snow foutain last night. I watered the leaves and such to give it an overal watering. When I did this, about 20 flies flew out of the tree. Some kept trying to come back to it. Can you tell me if flies usually live in these trees or is there a problem. I just had the garden company that planted the tree come out to update some items. They cut the branches and planted a clematis around the trunk. They never mentioned there was anything wrong with it. This is the first time I saw this. Can you give me any reason this is happening? And is there a way to get them to vacate?

Answer: Hollis,

Those insects were most likely just using the plant as a protected place to rest during the evening hours. I don't think they represent any potential problem for the weeping cherry tree. Almost any standard insecticide would take care of them but is really not necessary.