The Q&A Archives: evergreen comparison

Question: I planted two evergreen trees in front of my house one on each side of my garden area. On the right of the garden one tree has my house behind it and plants around it as well as the driveway to its left. On the left of the garden the other tree has the house behind it the cement stair to its right (about a foot away) and also plants surrounding. The tree on the right has grown at least 2 inches wider around and at least 6 inches taller. If my guess is correct the tree on the left is not able to spread it roots enough causing it to grow slower.

Please let me know what I can do about this without replanting.

Thank you.

Answer: Hollis,

Your theory may be correct. It could also be due to different seasonal soil moisture levels in the two locations, different amounts of sunlight, differences in the tree's before you purhcased them. Maybe one had a root going around in the container that is now causing the plant problems. Dig a few inches deep around the trunk and look for a root encircling the trunk tightly and buried into the swelling trunk. If you find it consult an arborist for the best way to handle the particular situation it is in.

Otherwise try watering and fertilizing the smaller plant more. Use turf fertilizer and apply a cup or two per inch of trunk diameter through a large area around the tree in spring, early summer and mid summer.