The Q&A Archives: Magnolias in MN

Question: I would like to replace a sickly flowering crab with a fragrant Magnolia here in Zone 4. The spot gets east and south sun. A small variety would be best (max 15 feet) but I'd like a tree-like rather than shrub-like shape. Can you tell me what my options are? Thank you.

Answer: Here are three tried and true Magnolias for your growing zone:
Magnolia 'Elizabeth' (Magnolia acuminata 'Elizabeth') Deep green foliage; full sun to light shade; well-drained, loamy soil.

Magnolia stellata 'Centennial' (Centennial Magnolia) HT 10-12', SP 12-15', SUN White, tinged pink, strappy flowers, 5" wide, in mid - late April.

Magnolia virginiana (Sweetbay Magnolia) Among magnolias, distinctive for its evergreen shiny narrow leaves - pale green above and a downy white beneath. Blooms from mid-June to mid-August. A refined small tree best given a prominent place in the landscape where its lily-fragrant flowers can be appreciated.

Hope one of these is just right for your landscape!

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"