The Q&A Archives: Dwarf Azaleas

Question: I bought a dwarf azalea from Home Depot last fall and it bloomed beautifully, covered with red flowers. It was only $3.99 or $4.99. I would like to buy another one and have checked Home Depot and a local garden center, but both stores only have larger-sized azaleas which are much more expensive and no description of the colors they will bloom (very discouraging)--why aren't the dwarf azaleas available and when can I expect Home Depot or other stores to have them??? I even checked the internet, and only one store has them. It would be nice if the dwarf variety was available in more than one color as well.

Answer: Azaleas typically bloom in the spring so that is when they are most thoroughly in stock. Sometimes florists azaleas are specially treated or conditioned to bloom at other times. I'm sorry you are not finding what you want. The best I can suggest is you check back with your local stores from time to time and see what they currently have in stock.