The Q&A Archives: Helleborus Niger - Christmas Rose

Question: I am looking for a plant (we are in zone 6 - Philadelphia/Southern NJ) known has Helleborus Niger or Christmas Rose. Evidently, this plant blooms in the winter months and is dark green in summer. It grows to about 1 1/2 to 2 feet in height and spreads. Can you provide this plant or know of another plant that is similar.

Almost done with my garden and this is it. Please help.

John Myers

Answer: Helleborus is the Perennial Plant Association's perennial of the year this year. You should be able to find a selection of these at nurseries and garden centers with good perennial sections. There is a zip code based dealer locator at

to help with contact information. (Monrovia is a wholesale only nursery, its plants are sold nation wide by independent retailers.) Best of luck with your search!