The Q&A Archives: Will my rose bush survive?

Question: I recently planted 3 rose bushes. The stems were broken off by accident. Will they grow back? Will it take a long time? This is first time planting roses. What would look good with roses in a perennial garden? I bought tulip bulbs last spring-are they still good to plant this fall?

Answer: I'm assuming you planted hybrid teas, which get pruned severely each year to promote growth of new canes and more blooms, so as long as the root system wasn't damaged, the plant should come back. Lamb's ears, catmint, and lavender are often planted with roses in traditional gardens, but you can plant anything that suits your fancy. Just make sure the sun exposure and soil moisture needs are very similar. If the tulip bulbs are still firm and full, they may be okay. I'd plant them, but buy a few new ones this fall as well so you aren't disappointed if they don't sprout. Good luck with your gardening!