The Q&A Archives: Japanese Aralia

Question: I am looking for an evergreen plant/shrub that I can grow outside, in a pot, on my patio, that will not have to be moved in and out of my garage during winter weather. It is mainly shady on the patio. Summer temperatures here can get close to 100F. In the winter, temps can drop below 20F on occasion. Is the Japanese Aralia an option? If not, is there such a plant??

Thanks for your help--

Lisa Gambrell

Answer: Japanese Aralia is planted extensively in Texas. This medium-sized shrub stays green for most of the year. The current season's growth leaves will eventually be replaced by new ones, although the plant is never bare. Interesting flower clusters begin to appear in late October and stay throughout much of the winter. Enjoy your new plant!