The Q&A Archives: Rhododendrum browning of leaf edges

Question: One of my rhododendrum plants (1-1/2 years old) starting showing a progressive browning of the leaves...progressing inward from the outer perimeter of each leaf. it is spreading to the whole plant and seems to have progressed to the rhododendrum plant next to it. What can I do? They are planted along a 6 foot stockade fence and recive part to full sun all day. Thank you, Paul

Answer: Unfortunately based on your description I am unable to diagnose this for you. There are a number of diseases, fungal and bacterial problems that can cause discolored foliage, they can spread from plant to plant and some are present in the soil as well. I would strongly suggest you work with your local county extension and/or professionally trained nursery staff to determine what is causing this and based on knowing that, decide how to proceed. In the meantime, remove the affected leaves and dispose of them in the trash. Avoid handling the plants when they are wet. If you water them, avoid wetting the foliage when you do so. It is important to get a firm diagnosis because some of these are more treatable than others. Good luck with your plants!