The Q&A Archives: Problem with Autumn Joy Sedum

Question: I have Autumn Joy Sedum that is approximately 3 years old. It was doing fine and now it seems to be dying from the ground up. I see all dead sticks with living growth on the top. It looks as though something has laid in the middle of it. It is all flattened out. I have a 20 ft. border of Sedum and they all look like this. They receive the South and West sun and are watered only when it rains.

Answer: You didn't mention whether or not you've pinched back the stems of your plants during the growing season. Pinching out the tips 2-3 times during the early and mid-summer months will produce dense and bushy plants which are able to hold the flowerheads upright as they develop in late summer. You can try pinching them back now, but the flower clusters they produce will be smaller than they would have been if you pinched back earlier in the season.