The Q&A Archives: tamatoes

Question: my tamatoes are comeing a part in the center of it

Answer: If your tomato plants are splitting open or falling over, you may need to support them and thin them out to reduce the overall weight. Usually it is best to stake or cage them early in the season before they are so big. At this stage you may be able to insert several stakes at the perimeter and run string crisscrossing through the center to support some of the heavier branches or vines. You may also need to trim back or shorten some of the longer vines, or remove some of the sucker growth, this will help reduce the weight being supported by the center stem. The other option is to allow the plants to sprawl flat on the ground (this can work with vine rather than bush tomatoes), if you do this place a heavy layer of clean straw or other organic mulch beneath them to help keep rain from splashing soil up onto them. I hope this helps.