The Q&A Archives: Japanese beetles on roses and grapevines

Question: Japanese beetles are destroying my roses and concord grapevines. I have the beetle bags, and use a spray on my roses, seemingly to no avail.
I feel like the only one that has a problem. Even my plum tree

Answer: First of all I would suggest you remove the pheromone traps as these tend to attract more beetles than they catch. Then you could try using a neem based spray on the worst affected plants to try to deter them. You might also consider interspersing your plants so that they are not congregated all in one spot as a major attractant. You are not alone, these beetles are a notorious pest and you are growing some of their favorite plants. On a longer term approach you could consider trying to control them at the grub stage by using beneficial nematodes and/or milky spore disease applied to lawn areas. Although the damage is ugly it is not usually fatal. I hope this helps.