The Q&A Archives: Agapanthus with browing leaf tips

Question: I have two types of Agapanthas, full-size and dwarf. The full-size do fine until they bloom then the ends of the leaves begin to brown. What can I do to prevent this? The dwarfs do the same but not as bad. Thanks

Answer: Browning leaf tips on Agapanthus may be caused by natural aging, dry summer weather (and lack of humidity), over-watering, or a need for more fertilizer, especially if this happens during blooming. Plants expend a lot of energy when they bloom and your agapanthus may be redirecting its energy into flower production at the expense of feeding the foliage. Next spring, try fertilizing lightly, before the flower stalk appears. I think it will make a difference. You might also use an organic mulch around your plants to help hold in soil moisture. Best wishes with your garden!