The Q&A Archives: Mother Of Pearl Plants

Question: I would like to know where I might be able to find a Mother Of Pearl plant. It seems to me, that you used to be able to find them just about anywhere plants were sold, and now they seem to have disappeared. Growing up, my mom used to have them hanging in our kitchen, and I would like to do the same. Thank You

Answer: Mother of Pearl is also called Mother of Thousands. If this is the plant you're looking for, it's Saxifraga sarmentosa and should be readily available in garden centers everywhere. I'd look in the houseplant section of Home Depot, or phone a local greenhouse or florist. These plants are still quite popular as houseplants all over the country - maybe you're looking in the outdoor section of the garden centers you've visited? Hope now that you have the botanical name, you can make a few phone calls to garden centers rather than having to drive all over town!

Best wishes with your search!