The Q&A Archives: tropical plant spelling

Question: Dear Monrovia, I heard about a tropical plant called flamelia, I am not sure that is the correct spelling. I believe it is purchased like a stalk, it is put in good soil, kept dry until it starts to shoot. Can you tell me if you recognize this plant, if so so do you sell it?

Sincerely, Ann Minnich

Answer: I'm afraid I don't recognize the plant. The closest sounding to your flamelia is plumeria, which produces fragrant flowers used for Hawaiian Leis. It can be started from cuttings. The only plant I know that is commonly available as a dry stalk is the Hawaiian Ti plant (Cordyline Terminalis). Monnrovia does sell these plants, but they are available in one- or five-gallon nursery pots. I don't know if we're talking about the same plant, though, so why not do a search of the Monrovia plant catalog ( and look at the photo of the plant? If this is what you're looking for, you can do a search of local retailers by entering your zip code. Best wishes in your search!