The Q&A Archives: Plants and trees for CA high desert landscaping

Question: We have low beds that need to be planted but we do not know what plants to plant in the natural soils of the high desert, California. I planted poplar trees but need shrubs, etc. inbetween them. Do I treat the soil or are there some plants that I can plant directly into the soil? Need some help.

Answer: I think you'll have success if you leave the soil as is and fill your beds with California Native Plants. These high desert plants are perfectly adapted to your climate and will require very little maintenance. Here's a website to help you decide which native plants to include in your garden - the site is filled with photographs and cultural information on each of the native plants it features. Hope you find lots of possibilities for your new garden!