The Q&A Archives: Monrovia Hydrangea purchased not as tagged

Question: In the spring of 2004, I purchased two (2) Monrovia hydrangea macrophylla "Teller Red" big leaf hydrangea from Funks Farm Market in Millersville, PA.

I prepared the soil, planted in the appropriate location, and cared for the plants as instructed. They are growing beautifully and both have flowered well this year of 2005.

However, one is the "Teller Red" lace caps as expected (by the picture on the Monrovia plant tags) but the other has a fuller and larger growing habit, slightly larger leaves, and is of the mop-head variety. I purchased two "Teller Red" lace cap hydrangeas. Not two differing varieties.

I questioned Funks Farm Market about this concern in June of 2005, showing photos of the plants, original Monrovia plant tags, and sales receipt. I explained that I had purchased, in good faith, a matching pair and ended up with two different plants and this was not what I had purchased. They explained that sometimes the plants revert back to their original variety. And sometime they will return back to the originally purchased variety. I was instructed to take cuttings and grow new plants and possibly they would be the ?Teller Red? variety that I purchased. Seems like an odd response since the Monrovia tag clearly states that ?asexual reproduction of plants protected by the Plant Patent Act is prohibited.?
I was informed that there was nothing they could/would do for me and that I would have to contact Monrovia personally. This response is not appropriate.
What can Monrovia do to remedy this problem?
I hope that you stand by your products unlike Funks Farm Market.

Thanks for your help,
Mark O'Connor
Lancaster, PA