The Q&A Archives: Stigmaphyllon ciliatum

Question: Hi, I purchased this yellow vine from your dealer (you were the grower). I misplaced your information card attached to the vine. Can you tell me the common name so I can reference your website for care instructions. Have a great day!

Answer: Stigmaphyllon ciliatum is Orchid Vine or Golden Vine. It has slender, twining stems set every few inches with flat, heart-shaped leaves up to 4" long. These have a softly shiny surface and bright green color, often overlaid with bronze. The flowers are reminiscent of those of the crape myrtles (Lagerstroemia) in form, each petal expanding abruptly from a narrow basal claw. They measure a little over 1" across and are brilliant yellow in color. The plant is seldom entirely out of bloom, though it flowers most heavily in summer. It thrives in sun or light shade and well drained soil, with moderate watering. It is fairly tender, recovering after freezes of about 25F, but won't tolerate prolonged freezes.