The Q&A Archives: White substance on Holly bushes

Question: I've noticed that on one of my holly bushes in the front of my house has little white 'bulb's under some of the leaves. It looks like a spiders' egg sac, but when I touch them (with gloves on of course) it's a sticky substance like marshmallow. Any ideas? (Not sure if it's the male or female holly)

Answer: Hollies are usually relatively pest free but based on your description this might be the start of a scale insect infestation; I would suggest you consult with your local county extension for a more precise identification of it. If it is something that requires treatment they will have the most up to date recommendations on what to use and how/when is best to apply it. I'm sorry I can't be more specific for you.