The Q&A Archives: mimosa tree

Question: I want to plant a mimosa tree in a shaded area. Will it thrive as opposed to being in full sun? I have a Japanese garden, what tree could work, besides Japanese Maples, in the shade?

thank you ---

Answer: Mimosa will grow in less than full sunshine, but will usually takes on a very sprawling shape if it is growing in the shade.

Japanese, or "kousa" dogwood trees (Cornus kousa) is a delightful tree for your Japanese garden. Their usually white, star-shaped blooms appear later in spring than do the flowers on other dogwoods. Fall foliage is purplish-red. The red berries of kousa dogwood trees persist into winter and are eaten by wild birds. Average height and spread of 15'-30'.

A variation is provided by the "Satomi" kousa dogwood tree (Cornus kousa 'Satomi'), which bears deep pink blossoms in spring.