The Q&A Archives: Annuals for Sun

Question: My deck gets sun all day long with no shade. I have tried to grow petunias in boxes, but they die in a matter of days even though I water them. Is there an annual that might do better? I think it must be just too hot. What do you think?

Answer: I'll give you a list of annuals that do well in full sun and dry conditions. It appears your deck is really a hot spot. Try not to let your plants dry out, even though they can tolerate dry conditions. It would be good to use a soil mixture that contains lots of "compost" that will help it retain moisture. Covering the soil with sphagnum moss might also help retain the moisture. Also, try setting the pot in a saucer so that when you water it, some of the water is retained in the saucer.Generally, it's not a good idea to allow a pot to just "sit" in water, but in your case it may help. Just never allow the soil to become soggy. And you might try using larger containers that won't dry out so quickly.<br><br>Here's your list: African Daisy, Amaranthus, Celosia, Gomphrena, Kochia, Petunia(try again), Portulaca, Sunflower(dwarf!).