The Q&A Archives: Calla Lilies Not Blooming

Question: My calla lilies don't bloom. When they do, it's very poor. I have planted them in containers and in the ground, but I have the same results. I use the best potting soil. I bought a yellow one and it produced only green flower buds.

Answer: Callas thrive on heavy watering, require well-draining soil, and need filtered afternoon shade in your climate. When plants fail to bloom, the cause can usually be traced back to poor cultural conditions. It sounds as though your callas are struggling to stay alive! Clay soils tend to hold water for a long time. I think if you dig the callas up and amend the soil with lots of organic matter, the plants will perk up. After digging the callas, spread a 3"-4" thick layer of aged compost over the top of the bed and dig it in to a depth of 6"-8". Then replant the rhizomes, setting them about 4" deep and 1' apart. Don't fertilize (too much nitrogen can cause weak flower stems), but do water them well when new growth begins in the spring.