The Q&A Archives: Evergreen hedge that tolerates winter winds

Question: I am looking for an evergreen hedge that will tolerate northeast winter winds in zone 5. I do not want to have to do a lot of trimming, and my space is about five feet wide and 18 feet long. The area is mostly sun, but one end receives some shade from a nearby tree. I like Taxus media

Answer: I think probably a shrubby juniper would do better in a windy spot. There are many cultivars available in the size range you need. They do require full sun however, so at the shadier end you might want to consider a fence panel or two. If you plant the full line of shrubs, those in the shade will look different (thinner and sparse) compared to those in more sun. Your local professional nursery staff may also have suggestions based on a more detailed understanding of the planting site and your design goals.