The Q&A Archives: Kind of trellis for potato vine

Question: Hi. I just planted a potato vine from Green Thumb, against a redwood fence at the side of our house. Could you please tell me how deep the trellis must be for the plant to grow on? I had bought also some stainless cable and screw-in steel eyelets that would hold the vertical and horizontal rows of cable about 3 inches from the fence. Would a 2-inch or l-l/2-inch trellis of cable be enough for the potato vine to grow on? Thanks.

Answer: You'll only need to bury the trellis 5 or 6 inches into the soil to anchor it. I'd stick with the 3 inch eyelets. You'll want enough room for the vine to twine without being squished up against the fence, and you'll also want the 3 inch gap for good air circulation and to keep the vine from overheating due to reflected heat from the fence. I'd space the vertical cables 4-6 inches apart and the horizontal cables 8-10 inches apart. The potato vine will fill in the spaces in no time at all. Enjoy!