The Q&A Archives: Flowers For Shady North Side Of House

Question: What can I plant in the flower bed on the shady north side of my home. I would like to have a colorful collection.

Answer: You are in USDA zone 6 and you have a pretty wide selection of shade perennials to choose from, here are a few: flowering perennials: Alchemilla (Lady's Mantle), Astilbe (Meadowsweet), Anemone, Aruncus (Goatsbeard), Brunnera (Siberian Bugloss), Campanula (Bellflower), Chrysogonum (Goldenstar), Dicentra (Bleeding Heart), Cimicfuga (Bugbane), Filipendula (Queen of the Prairie), Helleborus (Christmas Rose), Hemerocallis (Day Lily), Heuchera (Coralbells), Siberian Iris, Mertensia (Virginia Bluebells), Polygonatum (Great Solomon's Seal), Primula (Primrose), Trillium Grandiflorum (Wakerobin), Lysimachia (Gooseneck Loosestrife), and Pulmonaria (Lungwort). You can also try many, many varieties of Hosta. Groundcovers such as Ajuga, Pachysandra, and European Ginger would also be suitable. Don't forget shade loving shrubs like azalea and rhododendron! Let us know if you need sources for anything. These plants are all pretty readily available.