The Q&A Archives: Greenhouse Kits

Question: Where can I purchase a greenhouse kit? I dont want to pay an arm and leg. It's just a hobby and I am just beginning. Do you know where I might be able to get plans to build one?

Answer: There are some great greenhouse planning books available there is a good one called "Greenhouse Gardener's Companion" by Shane Smith (Fulcrum Publishing, Golden, CO, 1992). There are so many factors it's hard to answer your question. Burpee sells greenhouse and cold frame plans, including detailed drawings and materials lists. They also sell a greenhouse kit for a 8.5' x 10' greenhouse. The kit includes the necessary PVC pipe and plastic covering, door, exhaust fan, and hardware;you supply the lumber. You can contact Burpee at 800-888-1447 for ordering information. I also found a patio greenhouse at Gardener's Supply Co. that sits up against an outer wall of your home. You can contact them at 1-800-863-1700. <br><br>National Gardening Association (ph# 800-538-7476 ext. 124) sells kits for larger greenhouses (12' x 16', 12' x 20' and 12' x 24') often used in educational settings.