The Q&A Archives: Camphor Tree with dying branches.

Question: I have two 24

Answer: Branches that turn black indicate a problem with the roots. I'd prune back the damaged tree parts to see if new growth comes in healthy. If not, remove the oldest portions and train the new shoots to take the place of the original trunk. You may want to adjust your watering practices so that the soil has a chance to dry out slightly between waterings.

Camphor prefers fertile sandy soil. It will tolerate a pH anywhere in the range of 4.3 to 8. The roots are very sensitive to disturbance. Camphor tree does not do well in wet soils. Established trees are tolerant of drought. Camphor is hardy in USDA Zones 8 - 10. Hardened off camphor trees can survive freezes down to 10-15?F (-12 - -9?C), but new growth will suffer freeze burn when the temperature drops below 32?F (0?C) and branches will die back from temperatures in the low twenties.