The Q&A Archives: Kwanzan flowering cherry

Question: We recently planted a weeping flowering cherry tree in our landscaping (small pale pink/white flowers). We just noticed that it is seeping a dark sap. Is this normal or is there something wrong with the tree? It looks healthy and is full of leaves. We have experienced extreme heat over the past several weeks here (upper 90's into the 100's). Thank you in advance for your help.

Answer: A healthy tree should not have any spots of sap or ooze or gumminess on the bark. This gummosis might indicate bark damage or possibly borer damage or some other serious issue. I would suggest you consult with the nursery where you purchased the tree and/or with your county extension. In the meantime avoid wounding the trunk with tight plant ties, a weedwhacker, or by pruning. I hope it is nothing too serious.