The Q&A Archives: Wrap Arounds

Question: Thank you for allowing this space and assisting us with making our neighborhoods a much more colorful site.

I have various color cannas lilies, with various color leaves. This year being the third year, the red colored leaf has grown to over 8 feet. The problem that I'm experiencing is something that has been described as "Wrap Around's." I'm a beginner with planting and would appreciate your assistance.

I'm sure you are aware of this condition, if not, the problem doesn't begin until late July. When new leaves become mature, they won't open due to what appears to be some type of white membrane, holding them shut. When I've broken the membrane and un-raveled the leaf, it has what appears to be undeveloped areas in the leaf. Some of which have no color.

An additional problem I've experienced this year for the first time on the same plants is Beatles on the flower petals. Are you familiar with these and do you know if they are eating the petals and how to prepare for them next summer? This being the 13th of August, they have all disappeared.

Thank you,
David Eller