The Q&A Archives: help with montauk daisys

Question: I have had Montauk daisys for some time and evey year they return beautifully with no effort but since last year I am having a problem with them. They come up nice but then they start to get these yellow stinglike vines that have little white balls on them and they seem to choke the life out of the them. The yellow sting starts wrapping around the stems until they start to die off. Please let me know if there is something I can do to help them survive without this happening

Answer: Based on your description, I think there may be a plant parasite called dodder infesting your Montauk daisies. I would strongly suggest you contact your local county extension for a definite identification of this and their recommendations on how to control it -- unfortunately it usually requires killing and removing the host plant and keeping a vigilant eye afterward. It is really something you do not want to have in your garden or allow it to seed about and spread. Here is a photo to compare with and some additional information.

Good luck!