The Q&A Archives: Getting Birds of Paradise to flower

Question: I have a birds of paradise that has been planted for about a year and a half, but has never bloomed. How can I get that plant to flower?

Answer: Tiffany,

Actually if started from seed it can take from 3 to 7 years for a plant to reach a mature flowering stage. A purchased plant may already be ready to bloom. They bloom best if allowed to fill a container and become a bit crowded.

For best growth and flowering, bird-of-paradise requires plenty of water during the growing season and moderate levels of fertilization. Apply a soluble fertilizer such as Miracle Gro at the low contant feed label rate.

Make sure it gets plenty of light, at least 4-6 hours of bright sun a day. In dense shade it may not bloom well. It should start to bloom better after it has a season or two to settle in and especially after it fills the container and become a little more rootbound.