The Q&A Archives: When to plant bulbs (inparticular tulips)

Question: I am new to the gardening thing and would like to plant bulbs. How do I know when to plant them and what type to choose?

Answer: Plant spring-blooming bulbs in fall after the soil starts to cool off, but at least 6 weeks or so before the first frost so they can establish themselves. Just about any bulb will do well in your location so choose what you like. Typically, nurseries will carry what does best in their area. You might want to plan for some spring bloomers (tulip, daffodil, hyacinth) as well as summer bloomers (glads, dahlias). Plant summer bloomers in late spring after the last frost. If you are really interested in bulbs, "Flowering Bulbs for Dummies" by the National Gardening Association and Judy Glattstein is a good guide. Welcome to gardening!