The Q&A Archives: What kind of shrub to plant

Question: I am looking for some shurbs to plant on the south side of my house that is a high end...the length of the area is 23 feet...the hight of the area to the bottom of my windows is a little over 7 feet, I am in zone 6 and would like something that would stay green year round and was thinking of getting the Heavenly Bamboo and would like to know if you could suggest something that would be differnt or better.....Thanks you Oh, the area gets sun most of the day.

Answer: The nandina may or may not be evergreen for you, in a cold winter it is likely to drop some foliage. For a sunny space with heat reflecting off the wall of the house, I would suggest using junipers or possibly yews or possibly Pieris if you would like a flowering evergreen. There are cultivars that would mature to under seven feet or just about there. Your local professional nursery staff and/or county extension may have other suggestions based on a more detailed understanding of the growing conditions where you want to plant and your design goals.