The Q&A Archives: Flame Kaffir Lily

Question: In the spring of 2004 I planted 50 clivia miniata Monya under a group of Oak Trees. It seems they are still getting too much sun because they are getting very light in color. I water them every week. Is there a fix or will they adjust to their condition?

Answer: Clivias do best in shade or filtered snshine and dry soil. It's possible yours are getting too much sun, but it may also be that they need to be fed. A 15 - 5 - 20 fertilizer (suitable for most bulbs) will provide your plants with the nutrition they need. Wait until new growth appears in spring to feed your plants. I suspect you'll see an improvement in their color and blooming capacity after feeding them. If nothing changes, you may have to move them to a shadier spot. Best wishes with your plants!