The Q&A Archives: Perennial Choice/new landscaping

Question: I am working on plans for new landscaping and the designer has suggested either Agapanthus or Day Lilies for a count of about 35 plants. I don't really like either one of these as they are very common in my area. Is there something you can recommend that is a bit more different but will work just as well. (I need a dog friendly plant) Thanks!!!

Answer: There are several ornamental grasses with graceful, arching, evergreen leaves (but, alas, no colorful flowers); or you might try Nandina (dwarf heavenly bamboo). Hybrid penstemons are also an alternative. I like 'Garnet'. The name says it well. The narrow blooms are deep, glowing red, rising out of an airy three-foot mound of wispy foliage. If you like white, try 'Thorn', another beauty making broader, grassy-green leaves and big, white, flaring flowers with strawberry-stained lips.

Hope one of these suggestions fits well into your landscape.