The Q&A Archives: growing mimosa tree

Question: what is the best way to start a mimosa tree from seeds im having no luck with even planting a small mimosa from larger tree

Answer: In my experience it can be difficult to start a tree from seed, especially in a container. They are also very difficult to transplant due to the sparse root system. It seems to work best to allow the ripe seedpod to sit on the ground over the winter and germinate the next spring, in the spot where you want the tree to grow. (Pick the seed pod in late fall and place on a patch of rotted down organic mulch.) Or, better yet, to transplant a very small seedling in the early summer. It should be just a few inches tall at most and be sure to take the long root intact in a large shovel full of soil, and replant immediately. With mimosas, provenance or seed source can make a difference in terms of winter hardiness, with seed collected from a tree in a colder area will have a better chance of being able to withstand cold winters than progeny of a tree from a warmer climate. I mention this because your zip code places you in zone 6A, the coldest part of zone 6. Mimosas are not reliably hardy in such a cold winter area. Good luck with your project!