The Q&A Archives: Do I dead head hibiscus or just leave it alone?

Question: Do I dead head a hibiscus shrub or just leave it alone. I have a shrub that gives me beautiful pink blossoms. However, after they fall off the pods are left and all I'm left with is a bushy green shrub. What can I do to help the blooms to continue to bloom throughout the season?

Answer: With hardy hibiscus or Hibiscus syriacus, I have not found deadheading to help with continued blooming. When the shrub reaches a good size it is not practical to try to deadhead it in any case. It blooms best when the weather stays on the cooler side and the soil is evenly moist (but not sopping wet or saturated, it should just be damp like a wrung out sponge.) Some people find the seedheads ornamental and leave them in place for the winter. The overall shrub can be trimmed back in late fall if you prefer, this will remove the seedheads and also prevent the plant from seeding about.

With the tropical hibiscus shrubs grown as container plants, deadheading does seem to help them continue blooming and also keeps the plant looking tidier. I hope this answers your question.